Student Financial Aid

Financial Aid for International Students

If unable to view this video, please visit

Students holding only the following Visas are not eligible for any federal, state, or institutional financial aid:

  • Student Visas (F1 or F2).
  • Exchange Visitor Visas (J1 or J2).
  • G-Series Visas (international organizations).
  • Non-citizens with only I-688A or I-688B Cards.
  • Non-citizens with only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464).
  • Non-citizens with only Family Unity Status (Form I-797).

To be considered for federal, state, and/or institutional aid, students must be at least one of the following:*

  • United States citizen (native-born or naturalized).
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island).
  • U.S. permanent resident. Must have an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card), or a Passport or an I-94 Form with a stamp indicating I-551 status.
  • Eligible Non-citizen with an INS Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) Form with one of the following designations:
    • "Refugee"
    • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
    • "Asylum Granted"
    • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending,"
    • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before 4/1/1980).
  • Temporary Resident with an I-688 Card.

If you are eligible to receive Federal Aid, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

*Federal, state, and institutional aid includes: Federal Perkins, Stafford and PLUS Loans, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Pell and SEOG Grants, Federal Work-Study, all grants and scholarships administered by the Maryland State Scholarship Administration, UM and Frederick Douglass Grants, and Banneker/Key, Deans, Full University, Presidents, Regents, and UM Scholarships. These aid programs also have additional eligibility requirements.

Student Loans for International Students

International students with a F1 or J1 visa cannot use these funds for issuance of an I-20 or DS-219.

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships for International Graduate Students

International graduate students are eligible to apply for all graduate assistantships and most graduate fellowships (depending on the source of the fellowship funds). Graduate Assistantships provide graduate students with the opportunity to provide teaching, research, or other work for the university in return for pay and tuition waivers. Fellowships provide exceptional students with tuition waivers and a living stipend. To inquire about available assistantships, students should contact the individual academic and administrative departments and the Career Center at 301-314-7225. To inquire about fellowships, students should contact the Fellowship Information Office at 301-405-4207.

Private Education Loans for International Students

International students who are able to secure a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer may apply for a Private (Alternative) Education Loan through our list of preferred lenders. Information on private lenders is found at List of Private Lenders.

International students who are not able to find a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer may be able to secure educational funding through their home country or other international lender.

International Lender Name Country
Global SLC Any Country
Students from China
Students from China
Students from India
Students from Mexico
Students from Colombia

Other Sources of Financial Aid

The eligibility requirements described above apply only to federal, state, and institutional funds. While these are the primary sources of financial aid, they are not the only sources of financial aid. Some academic departments and many organizations outside of the University of Maryland offer privately endowed scholarship funds. Ask your academic department if they have any departmental scholarships for which international students may apply. For additional information about Financial Aid for International Students, please see the International Student section of the Financial Aid Information Page on the internet at or Financial Aid for International Students.

International Student Fee

Effective Fall 2017, the University will charge a fee of $125 per semester for all newly enrolled, full time students who are neither U.S. citizens nor permanent residents. Part time students will be assessed $62.50 per semester. To learn more about the international student fee and tuition related expenses, please visit the Office of the Bursar website at

For more information on international students, visit International Education Services.

Contact Us

If you have questions or need additional information, please contact us.