This scholarship strives to make college education affordable to promising state of Maryland residents and a limited number of Washington, D.C. residents admitted to the University of Maryland (UMD).
The Maryland Promise Program (MPP) seeks to ensure these undergraduate students have access to a transformative higher education experience and graduate with as little debt as possible. Maryland Promise Scholars receive academic, financial and other forms of support from UMD programs and through special opportunities in MPP.
This program is funded jointly by the A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation, other generous donors and UMD. The number of students selected annually is based on available funding. Not all admitted students who meet the residency and the financial need criteria qualify.
This scholarship may be used in combination with other federal, state and institutional scholarships and grants up to the total Cost of Attendance. Students will be asked to complete a Thank You Note annually.
Qualifications For Consideration
- Resident of the state of Maryland or Washington, D.C.
- Demonstrate financial need based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the only application required to be considered
- Preference to first-generation college students
- Incoming freshmen receive a four-year offer and transfer students receive a two-year offer, assuming eligibility requirements are met annually
No additional application materials are required for consideration. Not all admitted students who meet the residency and financial need criteria qualify.
Qualifications For Continued Eligibility
- Demonstrate financial need based upon the FAFSA
- Completion of the FAFSA by the UMD priority deadline of January 1
- Full-time enrollment (12+ credits) for each fall and spring semester
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Participate in Maryland Promise Scholarship activities
If you have any questions about the Maryland Promise Scholarship, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Benefits of the Maryland Promise Program
Maryland Promise Scholars will have access to the following supports and enhancements through a range of UMD programs:
- Supplemental advising
- Financial aid and financial literacy counseling
- Community development and special programming, including internship and career guidance, visiting speakers, receptions, workshops on academic and professional skills